Wednesday 9 May 2012

Fish Tacos



For some people, fish tacos are delicious. For others, it's absolutely disgusting!  When I first heard of fish tacos I was quite frankly scared. I didn't know what to expect.  First of all, I am not the biggest fan of seafood. I'll eat it, but I don't love it.  And secondly, fish in a taco? Seriously?! But when I took my first bite, I was pleasantly surprised.

So, with the weather warming up [very slowly] I thought that I would bring this light dinner back to the table. But this time, it's with a twist. I came upon this recipe from recipegirl.com.  How could I say no. Not only is it a fish taco recipe, it's a beer battered fish taco recipe! YUM! Who's with me??


TACOS:

1 pound firm white fish fillet (I used fresh cod), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
vegetable oil for frying
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup Mexican beer
juice of half a lime
1tbsp Tex Mex seasoning

Fresh corn or flour tortillas, warmed
1 medium lime, cut into wedges
Matchstick carrots
Shredded lettuce
Diced tomatoes
Chopped green onion


1. Pour oil to depth of 1 1/2-inches in a deep skillet or Dutch oven. Heat oil to 360° F.

2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, Tex Mex seasoning, lime juice and beer. Coat fish in batter.

3. Cook fish in batches about 4 minutes, or until done. Drain on paper towels.

4. Place 2 to 3 pieces of fish on each tortilla. Squeeze lime wedges over fish; top with remaining ingredients. Drizzle with Baja sauce and serve.




pan fried
beer battered goodness



BAJA SAUCE:

1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Tex Mex seasoning
1/2 small jalapeno pepper, seeded & diced
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro


Combine all ingredients - stir and chill.
the fixings

Sorry. There is no picture of the finished product. It looked and smelled so yummy that it didn't even have a chance to be photographed. Go on and and give it a try. You won't be disappointed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment