Monday 7 May 2012

homemade Thai food

As I mentioned in an earlier post [here] I have been doing an exchange with my friend and neighbour, Wendy.  My styling expertise for her cooking prowess.  It has been such a fun experience for the both of us. Learning from one another. Laughing. Sharing. And ultimately becoming closer friends.  Wendy has made incredible changes in her wardrobe - a very quick study indeed - (more about that in a later post) and I get to learn how to make delicious food that I would normally be more than happy to pay someone else make!

On our latest cooking adventure, we decided to tackle Thai cuisine. A red curry and a yellow curry.  They were surprisingly easy to make. Once you have created the paste, all that's left to do is add whatever ingredients you want to complete your meal.  We chose chicken and tofu for the red curry, and simply used a variety of vegetables for the yellow curry.

Thai Yellow Curry Paste
1/2 - 1 stock lemongrass
1-2 chillies
1/3cup onion
1 thumb ginger
4 cloves of garlic
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 tsp shrimp paste 
{NOTE: we used soy sauce instead of fish sauce and shrimp paste}
3/4 tsp turmeric
1/3 tsp pepper
1tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp ketchup
1/4 to 1/3 can of coconut milk

Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
Depending on your desired consistency, you may want to add water or stock to your pot when cooking.

* add 1 cup of stock plus the rest of the coconut milk when ready to cook

Thai Yellow Curry with mixed vegetables

Thai Red Curry with chicken and tofu

Thai Red Curry Paste
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 small onion
thumb of ginger
3 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp of soy sauce
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp shrimp paste
{NOTE: we used soy sauce instead of fish sauce and shrimp paste}
1 tbsp paprika
 1tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp coriander
1-2 chilies
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
juice of 1/2 a lime
1 can coconut milk

Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
Depending on your desired consistency, you may want to add water or stock to your pot when cooking.


First break: watch the hail storm

Second break: Taste our creations - YUM!!

Salad Rolls
The salad rolls, once you've julienned all your ingredients, are ridiculously easy to make! I can see myself making these for lunch, a fresh and light appetizer or for an on the go snack.

We chose cucumber, green beans, red and yellow pepper, carrots, tofu, mango, green onions, and the most important ingredient, mint.

My Share!!

I will definitely be adding this to my ever growing list of homemade specialities. But don't get me wrong, I will still be happy to order in!

1 comment:

  1. salad rolls are my fav. I dip them in my favorite mixture of hoisin and peanut butter:)

    ReplyDelete