Thursday 28 February 2013

Mail Art Swap

It's one of those of things that I have heard about, thought about, but had never attempted...until now. A Mail Art Swap.  An art swap is where you send small, whimsical, lightweight works of art through the postal system (aka, snail mail).  In typical Beth fashion, I accepted the invite without really knowing what I was getting myself into.  Apparently, mail art dates back to 60's and it was created by artists who did not believe that art should be limited to gallery and museum walls. Yikes! What? Artists?! I'm not artist!!  I guess I should have read the details.  I am merely a crafter. A crafter of the easiest, quickest, and cheapest projects, a crafter who stopped any original thoughts since I discovered Pinterest!

So, needless to say, I have been struggling to figure out what to make. I thought about making small pillows, or some cute little stuffed creature. I tried some DIY painting project, but was less than impressed with the results. With little to no time left to get my "art work" complete, I simply chose a subject that I know best - fashion! It's still nothing special, but I am actually quite happy with the results. 3 whimsical fashion illustrations.

I hope that the recipients of these pieces will be happy. If not, I have a feeling I will be receiving some hate mail in the near future!  All in all, I am glad that I was a part of this art swap, but I think this might be my first and my last.  I'll stick to my crappy crafts that my two girls think are masterpieces.



  I ripped pages out of a magazine and then painted the image on using acrylic paint. Once it dried, I added the pop of colour.  


Have you been a part of a mail art swap? What was your experience like?  I would love to hear your stories!


No comments:

Post a Comment