Tuesday 12 March 2013

Finally! The closet is completed.

It took a heck of a lot longer than I had imagined, but I am happy to announce, that right in the nick of time, my walk in closet/office is finally complete. Like I mentioned in a previous post {here} I have been dreaming about having a walk in closet for a long time. What I didn't mention was that my closet was going to be photographed for a local magazine, Kingston Life. Nothing fancy, just one picture of me in my favourite room of the house - that's right - my non-existing walk in closet! Start the clock!

I had 2 weeks to get the old nursery transformed into the walk in closet of my dreams.  2 weeks seems like a long time, but when you are relying in tradesmen to do the work, 2 weeks felt like one day!  In that one room, I had to cover an old and peeling popcorn ceiling, cover all the cracks in the old plaster walls, paint, and the hang all the fixtures.  The only job I tackled was the painting, oh - and the decorating of course.

I wanted my space to be a true reflection of me.  Eclectic, edgy, girly, fun. Using different, colours, patterns and textures, my walk in closet/office has turned into a wonderful and inspiring place.  Just like when I shop for clothing, I looked for items that had character, were unique, and had a touch of whimsy.

In the end, I am thrilled with how it turned out and even more relieved to have completed the finishing touches right before the photographer came. Phew!  Now I can't wait to see the images.


I used galvanised steel pipes for the closet rods.


Simple L-shaped brackets are used to hold my fashion books. 


A middle curtain rod acts as a scarf and belt holder as well as provides privacy from any curious onlookers!



The piece of pine board is an old board taken from our kitchen when we did the renovations. It now serves as an earring holder and a height chart for my girls.




I will post the final shot from the magazine when it comes out this Summer!  Stay tuned.


1 comment: