Monday 4 June 2012

Swimsuit season....

I have always had a love/hate relationship with swimsuit season.  What I love? I love being around the water. I love the warm breezes, the sounds of the waves, the feeling of sand between my toes. Shedding some clothing to take in, and cool down, in the summer heat.  However, what I hate is vastly different. It has, and I am sure will continue to, revolve around I feel about my body.  I know I am not alone in this. I know, because I see it with my clients, and my friends.  We, women especially, although it is happening to more and more men, are EXTREMELY body conscious.  We expect perfection. We compare. We put pressure and high demands on ourselves. And of course, this trickles into every aspect of our lives - not just getting "bikini ready".

Last summer, when we went to the local beach as a family, I wore the same swimsuit that I wore when I was pregnant with Andy. Last summer, Andy was 16 months old. I felt embarrassed that I was wearing that suit, but just didn't feel I was ready to try on another one or two or three!  Later that night, my husband put his arm around me, gave me loving little squeeze, and told me, ever so sweetly that I was better than that suit. That I didn't need to cover up my body. That I was beautiful.  I always knew I married a smart man!  This propelled me to get out there, brave the stores, and try on some more flattering, body and age appropriate swimsuits.

For the rest of the summer, I happily, confidently, fashionably took to the beach in my bright pink bikini!!  So what changed? Why did I go from supreme coverage, to a bikini?  I knew, deep down that my husband my right. But I let my imperfections stop me. Imperfections, that through my eyes, were terrible and warranted being covered up. The funny thing is, I experience this all the time with my clients. They look at their bodies in such a way, that they can't see ALL the good - only the "bad". My job then, is to break them free of that. To show them that they can wear that pencil skirt. That their legs should be shown off. That of course they can wear a sleeveless top!  These are what I call BREAKTHROUGHS. These breakthroughs are moments of empowerment. Little realizations that - 'hey, my body isn't so bad after all'! I LOVE these moments, and thanks to my husband, I was able to have one those breakthroughs too.

So what changed? I looked at my body in a different way. I no longer looked at it with the memory of my body in my early 20's! I looked at my body - after having my two beautiful girls - as an incredible machine. I looked at all the areas that I love. Areas that I was proud to highlight, and I went from there.
So what if my body wasn't what I deemed "perfect". Honestly, it never will. But it's my body; it's strong, it's unique, it's powerful. I wrote a post called body beautiful that I would suggest you check out and make a list of your own. It's a great exercise to get your mind, not just your body, ready for swimsuit season.  I know that I will be going over it again, as I get myself prepared for my pink bikini!

Last summer - in my pink bikini.

No comments:

Post a Comment