Friday 25 May 2012

things my kids have taught me

There is no doubt about it, being a parent is a tough job! My girls challenge me in ways I never would have imagined.  I am learning from them everyday and hopefully I am doing my part and they are learning from me too. Here are some lessons I have learned. Some were easy, some were hard, and some have contributed to my ever growing love of wine. As you may know already, my girls are only 4 and 2 so, I expect there will be thousands more lessons to be learned in the years to come! (I may have moved on to scotch by then.)




1) There is nothing better than getting a heartfelt hug from your child - especially the ones that come out of the blue.

2) Never assume that they have eaten the food that you have given them. I have found on numerous occasions {hours, days, weeks or months later} fruit, granola bars, crackers and raisins -  half eaten, squished behind cushions, under books and in shoes!!

3) My patience can be easily tested.

4) Yelling at the top of their lungs in a crowed supermarket will usually result in them getting a treat to quiet them down.

5) That I am smart, strong, beautiful and brave.

6) The more I say NO the more they continue to do whatever destructive, mess making thing they were doing.

7) They can outlast me any day in the dinner wars.

9) Singing out loud and dancing is a great form of exercise. I may look like a fool to any onlookers, but my girls think I'm freakin' awesome!

10) Don't fight over what they wear. Let them choose and wear whatever they want (within reason).  It saves a lot of time and tears in the end {yours and theirs}.

11) It's important to take time for myself. I am a better person, mom and wife for it.

12) I will always feel guilty for taking time for myself.

13) Screaming at my girls never works. I know this, but I will still continue to do it.

14) There is no such thing as a quick getaway! It usually takes at least 30 minutes to get everyone out the door.

15) Being called Mom is a really huge and amazing responsibility.

16) To always try new things.

17) Be the best role model that I can be.

18) Getting kicked in the face in the middle of the night is not a fun way to be woken up.

19) Hearing your child breathing deeply in their sleep is such an incredible sound.

20) That I can change a diaper in the middle of the night without turning on the light.

21) Night terrors are a lot harder for the parent then they are for the child.

22) That time really moves at an incredibly fast pace. Treasure every moment - the good and the not so good.

23) Sand can find it's way in to every single nook and cranny in the matter of seconds!

24) Kids are super creative and innovative. Ketchup, mustard, hummus, yogurt and apple sauce are all perfect for finger painting. Doors, floors and walls are all great canvases.

25) Hearing your child laugh is the most amazing sound.


1 comment:

  1. Made me teary - loved this. I want to take the time to do the same for my children. xoxo

    ReplyDelete