Wednesday 22 February 2012

What's in your closet?

I have seen many a closet, and although the items inside may be vastly different from one to the next, there is an underlying similarity - emotional attachment.  Every client has a story behind their most loved - or not so loved - piece.  They can remember when and where it was purchased or given to them. Where they wore it.  Why they bought it.  And how it made them feel.  I get it. I have items like that too.

One piece that fits that description is my pink leather jacket.  I bought it 15 years ago at a clothing sale at Place Bonaventure in Montreal.  It was love at first sight.  I knew I had to have it. I loved the fact that it was a bold, attention grabbing piece. It was unique - at least at the time it was.  It last saw the light of day just under 10 years ago.  I wore it for a photo shoot I had done while I lived in England.  It's because of those images that I no longer wear it!  Bubble gum pink leather jacket with rolled-up jeans. Long blond hair, reminiscent of Britney Spears. Yikes!  But I can't let it go. Why? For one, I really do want to wear it again. And secondly, it reminds me of my time in England.  A time when I really discovered myself. What I wanted. Who I wanted to be. That was a pivotal time in my life. And my bold, pink leather jacket was part of that process.

Maybe this spring I will bring it out of retirement.  All I know, is I better get wear out it sooner rather than later. I have a feeling if I wear it when my girls are older, I may just give them an extra reason to be embarrassed by me.


Alright, so I shared mine.  Now let's hear what item you are still holding on to and why!




Side note: If I can find a picture from the photo shoot, I will post it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment