Sunday 26 February 2012

the colours of curry

Curry. There are so many reasons why I love curry. The flavours, the colours, the smells, the taste!  And now thanks to my wonderful neighbour and friend, I love the process of creating it.

Friday morning, while the fluffy white snow fell, Wendy and I started our first creative exchange.  As I have mentioned before, I love to make things. Experiment. Step out of my comfort zone and try new things. To grow and learn.  So when Wendy asked me if I'd be interested in doing an exchange
(read about Wendy's experience here)  - my styling expertise for her cooking expertise - I was all over it!

Indian food is a staple in our house.  Most families have pizza night, well, we have curry night.  Most of the time we order it. Simple, quick and delicious, and our restaurant of choice is Darbar. However, on the rare occasion that I decide to make it, it usually comes out of a jar.  I have tried making my own from scratch too, but it never seemed to turn out the way I expected it to, or liked.  Plus, I am terrible at following recipes!  I prefer to just "wing" it and add whatever I like and whatever I have on hand (one reason why I love to make soups).

Enter Wendy.  We first got a taste of Wendy's cooking prowess after our daughter Ryan was born.  She made us quinoa, curried beets along with a vegetable curry. Needless to say, it was delicious! Lucky for us, since she lives two doors up, we get to sample some of her cooking on a fairly regular basis.

 Cooking with Wendy was a fun and relaxing experience.  There was no pressure for perfection.  Just guidance. And laughs. Lots of laughs.  Wendy is a joyful person. She loves to cook. Loves to be around people. And she is one beautiful singer - check it out for yourself. 


The three dishes that we made were: 
Butternut squash curry with coconut milk
Cabbage curry
Lentil curry with carrots
& Peach chutney


The ingredients were fresh. The recipes were easy. And the final products were amazing.  

our spice selection


adding canned tomatoes to each dish

butternut squash curry with coconut milk


cabbage curry

adding grated beets to the cabbage curry

lentil & carrot curry

our creations

what I got to take home!!

I had such a great time cooking with Wendy. I feel more empowered and I am still amazed at how easy it all was.  My husband was thrilled when I came home with jars full of this yumminess. And I am now looking forward to our next curry night when I attempt it all by myself. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment