Sunday 12 February 2012

taste the rainbow



Yesterday we celebrated my youngest daughter Andy's 2nd birthday.  Of course, we threw her a party.  It still boggles my mind how much effort and time goes into planning and prepping our children's birthday parties.  She's only 2 for goodness sake. Does she really need an elaborate spread to celebrate that fact?  If you think about it, until the age of 6, when they start to remember their birthday's, the day they were born should really be a celebration for the mother. After all, we are the ones that did all the work! Plus it really is a momentous day for us - and our bodies.  Besides, I always love days that revolve around me - and cake!


Now, onto the party.  Thanks to a friend of mine who sent me this link about how to make a rainbow cake, Andy's party "theme" was born.  Before you get too excited, you aren't going to get any knock-your-socks-off party tips here.  I am no Martha Stewart.  Far from it.  There are some ridiculously talented moms out there that throw these incredibly detailed theme parties that would put any professional party planner to shame.  I am NOT one of those moms. Yes, I like to craft - as long as it's simple and doesn't take longer than an hour to accomplish, and yes, I like to be creative - maximum impact for minimal effort is how I roll.


The cake:  As long as it tastes good, it really doesn't matter what it looks like.  I have tasted cakes that looked absolutely beautiful and were dry or flavourless.  My cake wasn't pretty on the outside.  I hate icing cakes.  It requires a skill that I apparently don't possess.  But who cares when the inside of the cake looks like this!
uneven & poorly iced
rainbow bright

 The decor: I kept it simple....white balloons as clouds, umbrella centrepiece, rainbow inspired fruit plate, coloured ice cubes... ridiculously simple.



    

The activity: Quick. Easy. Mess Free!  
Rainbow wands.


so easy a 2 year old could do it!

Will Andy remember this birthday? No, but I will. Proud to watch her grow and develop. Cherishing every moment and milestone. Enjoying her strut around knowing the day was all for her.  Everyone had fun, and the cake was a hit.  I guess, in the end, the party really was about me, and my cake!



No comments:

Post a Comment