Monday 26 March 2012

Break the Cycle


Most of the time when we shop for clothing, we are instantly drawn to certain items, colours and styles. Unfortunately, most women don't choose the right ones. Which may leave you with some great pieces, but these pieces probably just hang in your closet.  They are constantly tried on. Manipulated. But no matter what, they just don't seem to work.

Here are the reasons:
1) It's too big or too small
2) It's the wrong colour for your skin tone
2) It doesn't work for your body type

Let's break the cycle!

1)  Ok ladies. My number one rule (and I am a women with very few rules) is you have to try it on before you buy it! I know that for some of you this is a no-brainer. But believe me, I hear a lot of "oh, I didn't have time to try it on".  These items then are still hanging in closets with tags on. With many thoughts of being returned, but ultimately these pieces accept their fate as closet fillers - and this, whether you are aware of it or not, becomes a closet burden. Bottom line: it's a waste of money and energy. So please, try before you buy!

My second rule is buy items that fit your body NOW. Not "when I lose weight", or "in case I put the weight back on". Again, this is just a waste of time, money and energy.

2)  As for colour, when I work with clients, I know just by looking at them and by a series of questions, what colours suit them best.  If you really look at yourself in the mirror when getting dressed or trying things on, you can see what colours work and which ones don't.


Here's an exercise for you to do at home. Go to your closet and pick out something that you really love and that fits you well, but for some reason, it just doesn't 'feel' right. And then pick out something that you know looks great and it's a colour you always feel good in.  I bet that the reason the first item doesn't work has to do with it's colour. Really take a look at the difference between the two. When wearing a colour that suits your skin tone, you will look fresh and vibrant. The colours that don't compliment your skin tone will make your skin look dull and yellow.    
For more info on colours, click here. 

3) Not sure what your body type is? You are not alone. There are different categories with varying names: pear or bell shape and inverted triangle or martini glass shape. It sounds pretty complicated and to make things worse, you can be a mix of two of them!  When choosing clothing, dress your body by accentuating the areas that you LOVE, and camouflage areas that you would like to minimize.

See if you know the answers to the following questions. If you are not sure, send me an email and I'd be happy to tell you.

Question #1: I have heavier arms. Which sleeves are my best option?

A
loft.com
B
banana republic

Question #2: I have heavier thighs, which jean would suit me best?
A
Gap.com
B
Gap.com


Question #3: I have a boyish shape. Which dress will give me the illusion of curves?
A
my-wardrobe.com

B
stylehive.com

Question #4: I want to create the illusion of a fuller bust. Which blouse is best?
A

jcrew.com


B
bananarepublic.com


Question #5: I want to minimize my bust and make my torso look longer. Which blazer is better for me?

A
lechateau.com

B
h&m.com


Question #6: I want to hide the extra weight around my tummy. Which shirt is my best option?
A
piperlime.com

B
thisnext.com

Next time you go shopping or you are sorting through your wardrobe, keep these tips in mind. When you open your closet to get dressed, you should be faced with items that you love, that fit, that work with your lifestyle and your body type.





No comments:

Post a Comment