Friday 3 February 2012

Declaring my love

I love soup.  It's warm and nourishing.  Delicious and comforting.  Easy to make, and a great way to use up any leftover fruits or veggies.  Best of all, you can always put your own spin on any recipe.  What's not to love?

My affinity for soup is one of the things that helps me get through the cold winter months - that and my collection of chunky knit sweaters.  Once the temperature drops, I grab my trusty soup pot and start whipping up a batch of heart-warming, belly-filling deliciousness.

Of course this love affair has not gone unnoticed.  For Christmas, I received a thoughtful gift from my brother. A cooking course at Liaison College, here in Kingston, for soups and breads.  Needless to say, I was thrilled.  More soup recipes to add to my repertoire.  YUM!

The menu for the evening was:

Pear & Parsnip soup
French Onion soup
Black Bean soup
Chicken & Coconut soup
Seafood Chowder
Smoked Paprika & Cheddar Scones
Thyme Scented Apple Foccaccia
Cinnamon Buns

Our soup buffet
The menu excited me. The process aroused me. The Black Bean Soup, knocked me off my feet!  The texture, the seasoning, the garnish. Divine, hearty, comforting.  I am all about sharing what I love (with a few exceptions), so here is the recipe.

Black Bean Soup
(courtesy of Liaison College)

Ingredients:
3 cups cooked black beans
8 cups of ham stock (or chicken)
3 stalks of celery
2 onions, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 red pepper, diced
1 carrot, minced
1 can (48oz) diced tomatoes
1 lime, juice & rind
2 bay leaves
2tsp thyme
4tsp ground cumin
salt & pepper

cilantro, sour cream, avocado, tomato - for garnish

Method: 
1. Sweat celery, onion, garlic, carrots, pepper in oil
2. Add tomatoes, beans, herbs & spices, lime juice & rind
3. Add stock and simmer until vegetables are el dente
4. Adjust seasoning.
5. Devour
6. Share with someone you love
7. Store leftovers (if any)
8. Repeat steps 5 to 7!



"Soup puts the heart at ease, calms down the violence of hunger, eliminates the tension of the day, and awakens and refines the appetite." Auguste Escoffier
I would love to hear about your favourite soup, and please feel free to share your recipes!

1 comment:

  1. I love soup, too! Wow - the process aroused you? Gotta share your secret ingredient! : )

    ReplyDelete