Monday 20 August 2012

Crafty and Creative

This past weekend was a wonderful weekend for showcasing the many talents of the women of Kingston.  On Saturday, there was the Kingston's Women's Expo, an indoor event held at the Invista Centre. The KWE main goal is to bring together local businesses that are run by women, or that offer services to women. It was a day filled with exhibits, samplings, entertainment, interactive demonstrations, and shopping opportunities.  Then, on the Sunday, held outdoors at City Park, was the Women's Art Festival. The WAF was originally started in the late 70's by a group of women who were interested in promoting the work of women artists. Offering another opportunity to enjoy entertainment, samplings and more shopping!

At the WAF there was one particular vendor that stood out for me.  365 Lucky Days.  Now, I have done a little background check, and I seem to be the last person in the blogosphere to know about her.  Almost a year ago, Lucky Jackson set out to embroider something everyday for a year. And, to hold herself accountable, she has created a blog where she posts each piece she makes.  This is not your typical embroidery either. These pieces are fun, whimsical and colourful. The great thing about these hoop embroideries is in the details. Not only does she use super cool vintage prints for the background, but there are also touches of lace, beads and other playful fabrics.  They are all so cool that I am still trying to decide which one I want to buy!



I could go on and on about her and her work, but I will let the embroidery do the talking! Check it out for yourself. http://www.luckyjackson.bigcartel.com

I wonder what I'd look like if I was LUCKY enough to be embroidered?!

No comments:

Post a Comment